Wednesday, June 9, 2010

It's strange. I've never been able to determine which is right - living your life for yourself, or living your life in service to others.

I can see the benefits and drawbacks of both philosophies and its kind of maddening.

If you live your life selfishly - taking what the universe has to offer without much thought to other people - you are seen as shallow, vain or a boor. The simple desire to live your life on your own terms rubs people the wrong way for some reason. Even if you never intentionally harm another human being, this approach to life is somehow seen as lacking in morals.

But my question is, how else would you ever truly be happy? There is no one on the planet with the job of making you happy or satisfied with your daily life. That ball is totally in your court.

If you spend every minute worrying about what people think of you, do you ever truly grow?

Children are prime examples of this. A child will go out of his or her way to please an adult or another child. They do this for simple, human reasons. They want to be accepted and loved. The thought of being alone is frightening and to be avoided at all costs. But as the child grows they awaken to the understanding that other people have the same needs and desires. No one is alone. I think that in the 'average' child this process is where growth really happens. When you realize that you aren't much different from the guy down the street, that desire to run out and please people begins to fade. I don't know that it ever goes away completely. If it did lovers and friends wouldn't try so hard to outdo each other.

So you grow up some and realize that you have needs of your own to be met. Then what? This is where the problem comes in for me. I love doing things for other people. I love helping people reach their potential. It gives me a huge blast of energy when someone tells me "Thanks for all your help!"

But there are times when I'm helping others that I realize that my own needs are falling by the wayside. So which way is right?

Guess I'll just have to keep on keeping on until the answer becomes more apparent.

Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment